In honor of Karla, the usual sponsor of this page on the second Friday, I announce it as a random Friday Five. But with a theme: New.
1. If you have one, what is your new resolution? Mine is to eat more healthfully. I had an unhappy set of test results from a physical at the end of December, and it shook me up a bit. A dear friend managed to lower her cholesterol by 70 points recently through a combination of diet and exercise. I take inspiration from her success, and from her list of Heart Healthy Foods (esp. dark chocolate)
2. Many folks choose a new word for a year's beginning, as Marci's congregation does with StarWords. Some let their word choose them, like Christine at Abbey of the Arts. Do you have a word for the year? I truly believe there is wisdom in both processes. The word chosen for me was recovery. I'm really working with this one. The word that has chosen me is intention.
3. What is your new favorite exclamation/phrase at times of joy or frustration? It's rather indelicate, but I am often heard (only in my head) saying, "What a jackass festival!!"
4. Do you have a new favorite food, or an old one you are newly enjoying? Hummus! Moderately, of course, in keeping with 1. My EFM group didn't meet over the holidays, but for our snack we sure do enjoy some hummus.
5. Finally: what is your new favorite thing? Dang, I painted myself into a corner here. Because I have several favorite things. My warm new coat that my husband picked out for me. My new exercise bike! (I can read while I ride!). My parents' new home at Royal Estates in San Angelo.
But (you knew this was coming) my favorite thing of the past year is a person and the transformations her coming has wrought, not a thing. Today I entered her photo in the Babies of Denton contest in our local paper, because to me she is the most beautiful baby in the world: Nash Pritchett. And seeing my son grow up to become her father and a man I'm very proud of is the most beautiful gift in the world.