RevGals are adept at juggling and making do on the fly. In the spirit of the ability to multi-task, we’re pulling a random Friday Five out of the hat today.
- What is your “gotta go!” breakfast that you can grab and take with you in the morning when you’re in a rush? String cheese sticks. I like how they soften up between the time I take them from the fridge and the time I eat them. If I'm fancy, I have something else with them...fruit or a pita.
- When was the last time you had a fun evening out, and what did you do? I went to The Episcopal Church of Wichita Falls for an amazing and holy All Hallows Eve service, followed by Trunk or Treat. :) It was great!
- Favorite poet or poem? for today, Anne Sexton. This is from her book, An Awful Rowing Toward God:
THE ROWING ENDETH
I’m mooring my rowboat
at the dock of the island called God.
This dock is made in the shape of a fish
and there are many boats moored
at many different docks.
“It’s okay.” I say to myself,
with blisters that broke and healed
and broke and healed –
saving themselves over and over.
And salt sticking to my face and arms like
a glue-skin pocked with grains of tapioca.
I empty myself from my wooden boat
and onto the flesh of The Island.
“On with it!” He says and thus
we squat on the rocks by the sea
and play – can it be true –
a game of poker.
He calls me.
I win because I hold a royal straight flush.
He wins because He holds five aces,
A wild card had been announced
but I had not heard it
being in such a state of awe
when He took out the cards and dealt.
As he plunks down His five aces
and I am still grinning at my royal flush,
He starts to laugh,
and laughter rolling like a hoop out of His mouth
and into mine,
and such laughter that He doubles right over me
laughing a Rejoice-Chorus at our two triumphs.
Then I laugh, the fishy dock laughs
the sea laughs. The Island laughs.
The Absurd laughs.
I with my royal straight flush,
love you so for your wild card,
that untamable, eternal, gut-driven ha-ha
and lucky love.
- Who makes you laugh? Amanda Quraishi. Check her out on social media.
- Where do you like to go for some “time apart,” in the way that Jesus took time apart? There's a pond near my house where I go to listen to the birds.