Pat says at RevGals,
In honor of the 237th anniversary of the adoption of the Declaration of
Indpendence, I invite you to participate in today's Independence Day
edition of the Friday Five! We'll be looking at all kinds of
"independence," so please join in!
1. How does one typically celebrate your native /adopted land's Big National Holiday? I celebrate it by flying the U.S. flag and not going to work. :) Other typical things, in which I do not participate, include fireworks, grilling, parades, and eating contests (UGH).
2. How do you personally celebrate the holiday described in #1? Any unusual twists on the typical celebration? Is it something you enjoy or endure? See above.
3. What does the word "independence" mean to you, whether in a political or personal mood? How has that understanding changed throughout your life? Living single until I was 30. Now, it's the fact that I still live my own life, while inextricably joined to my spouse.
4. When did you first feel that you, personally, had gained independence? Was there a 'rite of passage' you would like to share? A pretty miserable situation a few years ago taught me that I had much more control / agency over my life than I had realized. It has been a revolutionary understanding. That's all I'll say about that for now.
5. Tell us about your favorite "indie" film, music label, book store...Recycled Books in Denton. It's enormous, it's purple, it's in the 1901 Opera House on the square...it's 3 floors of amazing book, record, cd joy.