Today I am giving the RevGals Friday Five. It's a little weird...I'm not sure how folks will take it. Here's my 2 cents.
As noted at my own blog, my word for the year is "clear."
One of the things to which this refers is clearing away clutter.
One of the best ways I have found to do this is to give everything that comes into my house a HOME. And I can easily tell that I have too many things when there are not enough homes for them all!
I gleaned the idea of items having homes from my younger sister who used to say to her toddlers, "See that book on the floor there? Is that its home? No? Please put the book into its home." Often, I am saying the same words to myself that she said to her little ones.
Photo from Discountofficeitems.com
In my mother's house, the Marks-A-Lot marker always went in the cupboard next to the sink. I don't know why, I just know that's where the Marks-A-Lot goes, still and forever, in my house many miles away.
So: Tell us your favorite homes for five things, the places that you can always and reliably find them.
1. Well, I already told you about the Marks-a-Lot. You have to stand it up on the end inside the cupboard. You should have seen me trying to teach Brandon that when I met him...when he was 9.
2. At work, my office is in a former dorm room, and I still have 2 built-in closets and a built-in sink. My lint roller is ALWAYS in this closet, on the left hand side. Remember that I have two very long-haired dogs...I keep the lint roller people in business. (see it?)
3. The measuring spoons have to go in the front of the drawer to the left of the dishwasher. Put them anywhere else, and I get ruffled.
4. I've had a bad habit of dropping my purse, keys, etc. on the washer as I come in the door (one of my "hot spots" or clutter areas is the washer/dryer!) So I've put a small end table behind the door in that room to act as receptacle for the things I bring in when I first come home, and also as my "launch pad" for things I need to have or take with me when I next leave: errand items, gym bag, etc. It works fairly well.
5. I have a hidden stash of emery boards, nail clippers, and tweezers in a secret place, because they run off otherwise. I'm not going to tell where that is...then everyone would know!